Prep Time: 20 mins Cooking Time: 35 mins Serves: 6
Cacao lifts crème caramel to new heights!
180g raw cane sugar
150ml whole milk
300ml single cream
75g 100% cacao, finely grated. Suggestion, Venezuelan Black100% Carenero Cacao
(Alternatively use 105g of a dark chocolate like Venezuelan Rio Caribe 72, and reduce the sugar by 30g)
Share & Print
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (fan).
- Prepare the caramel by putting 150g of the sugar into a pan along with 2 tablespoons of water. Heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Continue cooking until the syrup is a golden caramel colour.
- Divide the caramel between 6 x 125ml ramekins. Swirl around to coat, then set aside to cool.
- Pour the milk and cream into a pan. Add the cacao, then bring just to the boil, stirring to melt the cacao.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs lightly with the remaining sugar. Pour the warm cream mixture into the eggs and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the ramekins, then place them in a large roasting tin. Pour in enough hot water to come two-thirds of the way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes until firm but with a wobble. Cool, then chill until ready to serve.
- To serve, loosen each one with a knife and invert on to a plate.