CHOCOLATE & ORANGE SHORTBREAD
Prep Time: 20 mins Cooking Time: 30 mins Serves: makes 800g
This shortbread is slightly softer than the traditional variety. However, it still has that delicious slightly toasted, buttery taste that melds beautifully with the chocolate.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl, until very light and ﬂuﬀy. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl, set over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not in contact with the water. Set on one side and leave to cool slightly.
- Sift the ﬂour and the cocoa powder together into a clean bowl, then stir into the beaten butter and sugar mixture. Add the slightly cooled chocolate and mix until just combined into a smooth paste. Do not overwork the mixture.
- Press the mixture into the cake tin, sprinkle over the tablespoon of raw cane sugar and bake in the hot oven for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then, while still slightly soft, cut into desired shapes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. The shortbread keeps for 2-3 days in an airtight container, or can be kept frozen for up to a month.