Prep Time: 30 mins Cooking Time: Freeze time: 1-2hrs Serves: 4
This is a great recipe to use as a way of exploring the world of chocolate. You can substitute any top-quality dark chocolate, from anywhere in the world for the Madagascan Sambirano, so experiment and have fun following this fabulous flavour trail.
- Place the sugar and the water in a saucepan over a low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Gently simmer for 1-2 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the chocolate until melted. Chill the mixture, then churn and freeze in an ice-cream maker, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Place in the freezer to firm up before serving.
- If you don’t have an ice-cream maker, simply tip the mixture into a bowl and place in the freezer for 1-2 hours, or until it starts to freeze around the edges.
- Remove from the freezer, stir well, then return to the freezer for a further 2 hours.
- Remove, stir again and freeze for another 2 hours. Repeat this process once more. Finally, return to the freezer and leave until firm. Transfer to a sealable container for longer-term storage.
- Serve the sorbet on its own or with fresh strawberries or raspberries and White Chocolate Sauce.
Variation: Add 200ml strained and sweetened blackcurrant purée and 3 tablespoons crème de cassis to the mixture before freezing as described above.