DARK CHOCOLATE SORBET
Prep Time: 30 mins Cooking Time: Freeze time: 1-2hrs Serves: 4
If you are struggling to find a vegan desert among all the Christmas richness or are simply wanting a delicious light desert, this is the answer. It is a great recipe to use as a way of exploring the world of chocolate. You can substitute any good dark chocolate, from anywhere in the world for the Madagascan Sambirano, so experiment and have fun following this fabulous flavour trail.
- Place the sugar and the water in a saucepan over a low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Gently simmer for 1-2 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the chocolate until melted. Chill the mixture, then churn and freeze in an ice-cream maker, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Place in the freezer to firm up before serving.
- If you don’t have an ice-cream maker, simply tip the mixture into a bowl and place in the freezer for 1-2 hours, or until it starts to freeze around the edges.
- Remove from the freezer, stir well, then return to the freezer for a further 2 hours.
- Remove, stir again and freeze for another 2 hours. Repeat this process once more. Finally, return to the freezer and leave until firm. Transfer to a sealable container for longer-term storage.
- Serve the sorbet on its own or with fresh strawberries or raspberries and White Chocolate Sauce.
Variation: Add 200ml strained and sweetened blackcurrant purée and 3 tablespoons crème de cassis to the mixture before freezing as described above.