Classic Chocolate Mousse in a Bitter Chocolate Case
Prep Time: 25 mins Cooking Time: 0 Serves: 12
250g dark chocolate, roughly chopped. Suggestion, Madagascan Sambirano 71
300g dark chocolate, roughly chopped. Suggestion, Indonesian Javan Dark Breaking 69
6 eggs, separated
80g raw cane sugar
450 ml double cream, lightly whipped
Equipment: 26 cm tart or shallow cake tin, baking paper
Share & Print
- Lightly oil the tart or cake tin. Take a piece pf baking paper, at least 45 x 45 cm , and press it into the tin so it sticks firmly to the base and sides and comes a little above the rim of the tin.
- Melt the Madagascan Sambirano chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not in contact with the water.
- Pour into the lined tin and spread evenly, with a flexible spatula, over the bottom and up the sides. Chill in the fridge.
- Melt the Indonesian Javan Dark Breaking chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not in contact with the water.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with sugar until stiff. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the remaining sugar and stir into the melted chocolate.
- Fold in the lightly whipped cream, then fold in the egg whites. Tip the mixture into the prepared chocolate case and place in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Carefully lift out of the tin and peel the baking paper off the sides. Use a fish slice or spatula to lift off the baking paper on the base and place on a serving plate.
- Keep chilled until ready to eat and serve with whipped cream or crème fraiche.