CLASSIC CHOCOLATE MOUSSE IN BITTER CHOCOLATE CASE
Prep Time: 25 mins Cooking Time: 0 Serves: 12
This is one of my dinner party favourites. The chocolate case adds a bit of flair to the presentation. I’ve used two very different chocolates here. The Indonesian Javan is has hints of caramel and toffee flavours. The Madagascan Sambirano is deep and dark, with subtle notes of summer berries.
250g dark chocolate, roughly chopped. Suggestion, Madagascan Sambirano 71
300g dark chocolate, roughly chopped. Suggestion, Indonesian Javan Dark Breaking 69
6 eggs, separated
80g raw cane sugar
450 ml double cream, lightly whipped
Equipment: 26 cm tart or shallow cake tin, baking paper
Share & Print
- Lightly oil the tart or cake tin. Take a piece pf baking paper, at least 45 x 45 cm , and press it into the tin so it sticks firmly to the base and sides and comes a little above the rim of the tin.
- Melt the Madagascan Sambirano chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not in contact with the water.
- Pour into the lined tin and spread evenly, with a flexible spatula, over the bottom and up the sides. Chill in the fridge.
- Melt the Indonesian Javan Dark Breaking chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not in contact with the water.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with sugar until stiff. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the remaining sugar and stir into the melted chocolate.
- Fold in the lightly whipped cream, then fold in the egg whites. Tip the mixture into the prepared chocolate case and place in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Carefully lift out of the tin and peel the baking paper off the sides. Use a fish slice or spatula to lift off the baking paper on the base and place on a serving plate.
- Keep chilled until ready to eat and serve with whipped cream or crème fraiche.