Coq au Vin
Prep Time: 40 mins Cooking Time: 1 hr 40 mins Serves: 4
1 whole organic free-range chicken, about 1.5kg
1 stick celery
2 bouquet garni
2 tbsp olive oil
garlic cloves from half a bulb, peeled
150g unsmoked back bacon, roughly chopped
1 bottle red wine
1–2 tbsp 100% cacao, finely grated. Suggestion, Indonesian Black100% Javan Dark Breaking Cacao
Share & Print
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan).
- Remove the legs, wings and breast meat from the chicken. Place the chicken carcass in a roasting tin and roast for 30–40 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer the carcass to a large pot.
- Add 1 onion, the carrot, celery and 1 bouquet garni. Cover with cold water and simmer for 35–40 minutes. Strain, discarding the vegetables and bones.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and black pepper. Heat the butter and oil in a large casserole. Add the chicken and fry until the skin is evenly browned. Meanwhile, blitz the remaining onion and the garlic cloves in a food processor until finely chopped. Remove the chicken from the casserole, add the onion and garlic, along with the bacon, and fry until soft and brown.
- Turn the heat up and deglaze the casserole with a good splash of red wine. Return the chicken legs and wings to the pot.
- Pour in the remaining red wine and 150ml of stock. Add the remaining bouquet garni.
- Cook over a low heat for 1 hour, topping up the liquid if necessary with stock. Add the chicken breasts and cook for a further 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Stir in the cacao to finish and serve with mashed potato.