Ginger and Lime Cloud Forest Chocolate Cake
Prep Time: 25 mins Cooking Time: 35 mins Serves: 12
400g Ginger Lime chocolate.
250g unsalted butter
100g raw cane sugar
For the icing:
250ml double cream
75g golden raw cane sugar
90g Peruvian 100% cacao, roughly grated
(Alternatively use 130g of a dark chocolate like Peruvian Chulucanas 70, and reduce the sugar by 40g)
Candied ginger for decoration
Equipment: 25-cm springform cake tin
Share & Print
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C. Lightly grease the cake tin, then line with baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not in contact with the water. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar in a large bowl until pale and doubled in volume. Stir in the melted chocolate and butter mixture.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until slightly risen and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave in the tin on a wire rack to cool.
- To prepare the icing, place the cream and sugar in a pan over low heat and bring just to the point of boiling. Remove from the heat and stir in the grated cacao until melted and evenly mixed through. Set aside to cool.
- When the cake is completely cold, place on a serving plate or cake board and spread the cooled icing evenly over the top and sides and decorate with candied ginger. Keep at room temperature until ready to serve. Don’t store in the fridge as the cake and icing can become too hard.