MAGIC CLOUD FOREST RECIPEPrep Time: 25 mins Cooking Time: Depends on what you are making Serves: See each recipe for detail
** Join me for a live and interactive Bake Along on Saturday 5th June at 10.30am. With just this one recipe you’ll learn how to make 3 Magnificent Creations. BOOK NOW!**
If there’s just one chocolate recipe to have engraved on your heart this is it. I have taught all my friends! It is one of the first recipes I invented on my farm, using my own Hacienda El Tesoro cacao and fresh raw sugar cane.
This one Cloud Forest Recipe will make Perfect Brownies, the epic Cloud Forest Cake and sexy Gooey Puddings. Play with it as you like. Throw in berries, nuts, marshmallows … whatever takes your fancy.
Choose which chocolate drops you’d like to use here.
260g Chef’s Drops, single estate dark chocolate drops.
Choose the bean type according to the flavours you prefer:
The classic, smooth nutty Las Trincheras 72
or the rich layered nutty, coffee notes of Rio Caribe 72 (used by Ottolenghi for his brownies)
or the fruity, honeyed flavours of San Agustin 70 that are so great for Gooey Puddings when you put the fruit in the bottom.
200g unsalted butter
100g raw cane sugar
100g ground almonds
Cloud Forest Cake – the king of cakes
Equipment: a 25-cm springform cake tin
Brownies – the lightest melt in your mouth brownies imaginable
Equipment: 20cm x 20cm baking tin & baking paper
Gooey Puddings – simply sexy, little pots with molten middles
Equipment: 12 x 100ml ramekins
To make a Cloud Forest Mix
– Preheat the oven to 170˚C. Lightly grease the cake tin, then line with baking paper or grease your ramekins.
– Melt the chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not in contact with the water.
– Remove from the heat and set aside.
-Beat the eggs with the sugar in a large bowl until pale and doubled in volume.
– Stir in the melted chocolate and butter mixture, then carefully fold in the ground almonds until evenly mixed through.
– Then follow instructions below for whichever recipe you want to make…..
To make a Cloud Forest Cake – the king of cakes
– Tip the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until slightly risen and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
– Remove from the oven and leave in the tin on a wire rack to cool.
– Once cool, dust with cocoa powder or icing sugar or serve with berries and fresh cream or ice with ganache…..
– Ganache ingredients: 250ml double cream, 35g raw cane sugar and 130g Rio Caribe 72 dark chocolate
– Ganache method: place the cream and sugar in a pan over low heat and bring to the point of boiling.
– Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate until melted and evenly mixed through. Cool.
– Spread the cooled icing evenly over the top and sides of the cooled cake.
To make Brownies – the lightest melt in your mouth brownies imaginable
Makes about 40 brownies. You can easily halve the recipe and make 20.
– Add in a handful of anything you like into the mix eg macademia nuts, walnuts, dried fruits, marshmallows
– Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, until the centre is just firm to the touch.
– Remove from oven, lift out of the tin using the baking paper and allow to cool a little before slicing.
To make Gooey Puddings – simply sexy, little pots with molten middles
Serves 12. You can easily halve the recipe and make 6.
– This is not necessary, but you could spoil yourself with a couple of teaspoons of your favourite jam or a few Amarena cherries drained of their syrup in the bottom of the ramekins.
– Divide the mixture evenly between the ramekins and bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, until the centre is just firm to the touch.
– Remove from the oven and eat immediately, pouring over a little cream if you like.